Friday, April 26, 2013

We lost an icky one.

We lost. By one point.

I hate losing when I feel cheated!

We scored 2 runs when our last batter hit the ball to the infield and got out at 1st base for the 1st out of the inning.

The only thing is that the 2nd girl that crossed the plate was my 6th run of the inning.

The other team didn't want to let me count it, but then the coach, my friend, says,
"If you feel you need it, then go ahead and count it."

He totally played the guilt trip card on me.

He says that non of the other coaches play that way, I'm the only one.

I told him that I would not take it then, and I asked him when the rule of continuation would apply. He gave me an example of if someone hit it way out there and they were still throwing it around.

I went with it at the time, but now I realize that I don't see a difference. My player hit the ball and I would have scored both runners if they had only been points numbers 1 and 2, cause their player wasn't paying attention to the play or the 2nd runner, so why don't I get to count them in this instance.

Yeah, and it lost me the game! I feel cheated.

Several major factors lined up for us to lose this one:

The other team was missing it's two smallest and worst batters. That makes a HUGE diffference.
They got to bat their best batters EVERY inning with those two missing.

My assistant coach, the father of my pitcher, was out of town. He knows how to reel his daughter back in when she's not doing so good. He knows how to keep the team up when they need it.

My awesome pitcher was feeling sick to her stomach, and in turn was walking everybody.
I had Kinzie catching for her while she was struggling and Kinzie couldn't catch a lot of her balls.
So there were a lot of stolen bases.

I hadn't planned on pitching Hunter.
But I did when I saw JC feeling so icky.
Hunter did great. She made several plays of batted balls at her. But, I hadn't arranged my 1st baseman for a "Hunter Pitch" situation. Hunter pitches slow enough that kids can hit her balls, so that means more balls thrown to 1st base. My 1st baseman missed 3 EASY outs. Therefore, they scored more runs.

I hadn't realized a girl I had on 3rd was afraid of my catcher's throws, and she missed one that went clear to the outfield.

My catcher made some throws to 2nd after the runner was already there, and those girls missed it, so more runs scored. She also missed several 3rd strikes and couldn't get the girls out at 1st.

The umpire was cleaning off the plate before my pitcher got control of the ball in the circle.  He stood up just in time to see the other team crossing the plate stealing home. UUUGGGGHHHH, that one just kills me. My catcher had moved out of his way, and was not ready for a throw to the plate. CHEATED!

My youngest player on my team just does not GET IT, and she would have tied the game in the final at bat. On a passed ball, I sent her with plenty of time. When the catcher came up with the ball, instead of running to the plate and touching it, my player stopped 2 feet shy of the plate and waited for the girl to come tag her out????????????????
That was the third out and ended the game. Kinzie was up to bat with two on base, and she could have won the game with a good solid hit, but if she'd have hit a grounder, I would have looked like an idiot for not sending the girl on 3rd on the passed ball. UGH! The game was right there for us to take and I can't tell you how ICKY of a feeling it is. Dang that girl for stopping. WHO DOES THAT?! No one!

AHHHHH!

there were a couple of good points:

My pitcher struck out the girls at the end like a champ when we needed her to.

Jessie is a bunting queen! She laid down some beauties and beat the throws. One of her bunts was 6".
That's right, it went 6 inches.

Hunter bats lefty and hit one down 3rd base line and beat the throw to 1st base.

I don't mind losing when they deserve to beat us. This time, they didn't deserve it.

ICKY!


No comments: