Friday, April 13, 2012

AGGIE!

The goal: to get as far away from his family as possible
yet stay in Utah to qualify for his Utah Scholarship.
How about LOGAN!!!

UGH!

He is still 17, but drove himself to Logan to tryout for the Aggie cheer team.

He discovered that an old swim teammate is going to school up there, so he stayed in his dorm on the couch.

He got there in time to take a nap before going to a stunt clinic put on by the school.
The next morning, he took a tour of the school campus.
That afternoon, he went to the cheer leader tryouts.
There were 40 girls and 12 guys trying for 8 spots each.
None of the guys got cut the first day, but they cut the girls down to 15 for Saturday.
Tryouts started at 10 am for Saturday.
By 12 noon, I was a nervous wreck.
"No news" is not good news! I figured he was mad about the outcome,
and was letting off steam and was delaying his call to me. By 1:51 pm, he called me.

HE MADE IT!

I was about sick to my stomach at this point, and I almost couldn't believe him.
He told me a little about it, but we were on our way to a Easter picnic, and I lost signal.

They didn't allow anyone in to watch the tryouts,
so it wouldn't have done any good for me to go up there with him.
It would be easier and cheaper for him to find a place to stay for just him.
It would also be a good experience for him to go by himself.
Hubby kept saying we sent off our boy, and he was coming back a man!
That "manness" only lasted for 30 minutes, and he was sick of us again.

Friday night just happened to be a Full moon.
The tradition of becoming a "True Aggie" is that you have to kiss a "true Aggie" on Aggie Rock after midnight of a full moon.
Check that one off his list! His swim buddy became a "true Aggie" that night also.
They don't even know the girl. "Her name is Katelyn."

I'm not convinced that you can become a "True Aggie" before you make the cheer team, but I will not mention it out loud to him...

If he didn't make the team, he wouldn't have enough money to go to USU.
He would have stayed here and cheered for our local college.
But, he already has an Associates from this college and he is sick of being here, and there is not a lot of classes left in his major to take here.
I really wanted him to stay close to home, so that I could watch him cheer, but I also wanted him to follow his dream.



2 comments:

Jana said...

That is so stinkin' exciting!!! I can't believe he's going to be a junior at USU on the cheer team in just a few months! Is he really old enough for this step?

Cheryl said...

Congratulations to him. And ditto what Jana said.