Sunday, October 7, 2012

Grape Leaf Skeletonizer




Yesterday, I noticed we have found these things crawling out of our lawn out back. 
Oh, great, they might be killing my lawn.
Nope, not that I know of.
But, when I found them crawling out of my lawn out front today and all over my house, I had 5 kids come outside and kill about 25 a piece. didn't even make a dent.
I went to the side of the house to see how far they went around my house.
I noticed right away that my 8 ft by 10 ft of grapvines were completely dead,
 and it was crawling with these stupid caterpillars.
I had my kids come out and squish some more. They each squished about 100 and so did I. 
That's nearly 600 of these gross things, and we didn't even make a dent in what is out there!!!!!
I made a phone call to Grandpa Kay to find out what they are,
and he'll come over tomorrow and spray them.
Yay, for Grandpa Kay!!!
(He is the bonus grandpa my kids got after Hubby's mom got remarried. 

Before him, my kids had NO grandpas left.)


This is not what my vine looks like:

Mine don't have any green on them any more.
I
am so ready for them to be gone.
They killed my grapevines in just a couple of days!!!
According to a site I visited,
it says the hairs on these critters is irritating to the skin and will sting
and will cause welts.
Hubby thought one of them had bitten him, because of the big welt it left on him.

2 comments:

Jana said...

Gross. Gross, gross, gross, gross, gross. Gross! And gross for squishing them. GROSS!

Jana said...

And from the title of the post I thought this was going to be something about Halloween decorations! Gross!