Friday, February 1, 2013

Reffed some basketball games

last night since I am the assistant stake sports person.

And also since the guy in charge of 
getting the refs
 went to Texas for 6 months and didn't tell anyone.

But, here's the deal: I substituted coached for Kinzie's
basketball team last week.
I subbed at practice and scrimmaged with the 12-14 year old girls.

What's wrong with me?
I tried to act like I was still 14,
and now I am paying the price.

I pulled a muscle in my calf (didn't stretch first...).
It hurt really bad for a couple of days.
Then, on the day of the game,
I jumped up to cheer for a girl who scored that doesn't usually get to 
score, and I pulled it again.
Then, I favored that leg and pulled a butt muscle cheering again
during the same game.... hahaha
I'm too old for this.

I took it easy for a few days, it quit hurting, and then I finally got in the mindset
for my treadmill again.
Then last night while I was reffing
(running up and down the court lots and lots and lots of times for a couple of hours)
my muscle in my calf got tighter and tighter and tighter.

Finally, it was time for me to play MY game.
My muscle was so sore, that it was basically pointless for me to be
on the court.

I just now looked on the internet for advice for a pulled calf muscle, and
it says that I should stay off of it for 48 HOURS!
Even use crutches if I can...
OOOOOPSIE.

The advice also says that people tend to under estimate a pulled
calf muscle. hahaha    AS IF!!!

Okay, so forced laziness for a couple of days....

Now, for the back story of why I was chosen to sub for Kinzie's team...

I complained to the rec center about her coach...several times.
:)
So, I think it was a "so you think you can do a better job? then do it" deal.

There's a little rule all coaches are told that each player has to play at least half the game.
Kinzie should get 20 minutes per game.
Her team only has 7 players, so it should be EASY to get each player 20 minutes.
It never happened, not once.
The most she ever got was 15.
(that is half of each quarter, and none of the last one)
The straw for me was when she had played 6 minutes before half time,
then the coach put her in the last part of the 3rd quarter, 
then took her out again during the same 3rd quarter.
For a total of 9 minutes!!
I couldn't sit quiet any longer. I complained to the rec. sports director.
Then, I went to the coach and informed him that I knew she was supposed to 
play 20 and NEVER has.
He blamed it on his other daughter that was his "time keeper".
Not good enough for me.
I told him that Kinzie has only been in for 9 minutes so far and there was only 10 minutes left in the game.
He played like he didn't know, blamed it on the fact that his daughter wasn't there to tell him.
(It wasn't any different when his daughter WAS there...)
He put Kinzie in for the last quarter for 9 minutes,
THEN TOOK HER OUT!!!

Oh, my holy heck, it's not rocket science.

The rec sports director said he'd call the coach and talk to him, and he did.
But, the next week, the coach was doing the same thing he always did.
He'd put Kinzie in for the last 4 minutes or last 2 minutes of each quarter.
So, I complained to Kole, the head sports director who just so happened
to be Kinzie's Sunday School teacher a couple of years ago, so I knew he would
look out for Kinzie even if I didn't. 
He talked to the coach again, and said enough was enough and to resolve it and get it right.
So, the coach texted Hubby so see if I could sub for him the last game while 
he coached the border league team elsewhere.

Might I mention that Kinzie has a few super good players on her team and most games
were creaming the other team by 60 or 70 points, and Kinzie still sat the bench for the whole
4th quarter, AND the coach was allowing his players to full court press, steal the ball, and not let the
other younger teams have a chance to play all while they were 60 points ahead!!!
That added to my "can't keep quiet frustration level" as well.

The coach happens to be the Border league coach for one of the middle schools.
That might help you understand the "I could care less about the kids' feelings" 
attitude he displayed. "win at all costs"

I jumped at the chance to sub for him.
"Put up or shut up," I always say,
so I "put up" like I did for softball.

It was SiMPLE SIMPLE SIMPLE to get each of those players at least 25-30 minutes each.
AND
new concept coming:
we were 16 points ahead at half time.
We let the other team play and didn't hammer them to get the ball.
We did not run up the score.
We tried to let everyone on our team score. Even the ones who have never scored before.
AND IT WAS MORE FUN FOR ALMOST EVERYONE,
not just the 3 best on my team.
(funny side note: Jay Don Blake, the pro golfer, has a daughter on Kinzie's team and he 
even came up to me at half time to ask that we 
show sportsmanship and not run up the score like we always do. 
Ha, I am not the
only parent to be annoyed at the coach for his "kill them" attitude.)

Funny thing about that day was the stars aligned or something to allow me
to get the most of my day (coach AND go to swim meet)
Kort's game was at 8 am. They were usually at 9 or 10.
.
 That allowed me to go to Cedar to watch Koby and
Kashton in their events at the Region Swim meet at 10 am.
The swimming was done by 1230 and that allowed me enough time to get home
and get Kauri to her game by 200, then coach Kinzie's game at 300.
Kinzie's games were usually at 1 or 2.


Okay, I gotta go. I gotta hobble in and get some ice to put on
my super sore under estimated calf muscle.
: )






2 comments:

Jana said...

You are such a good coach. I hate, hate, hate it when coaches play only to win. Hate it. And there isn't much in this life that I hate. Good for you!

Sweet Tooth Sulli said...

A mother of one of the good players told me she enjoyed watching me coach... whatever that means?