Thursday, August 2, 2012

Mini Malls!

I guarantee there will be NO ONE 
out there that can guess what this post will be about 
by reading that title!


Deja Vu has never bothered me in my life. 
Physically that is.
I have had deja vu regularly throughout my life.
About 4-5 years ago, a weird thing started happening.
(I still remember the day of the first one, I was exercising on my treadmill and all of a sudden, I felt like I had the flu. I got very light headed and thought I would barf out my whole insides. My visiting teachers were supposed to be coming in half an hour, so I had to call them and tell them I thought I was sick. My vt.s were Dickerson and Mayfield at the time, that's how I remember how long ago it was. Kauri would have been around 2. I didn't barf, and half an hour later I felt fine.)


I get a feeling of DeJa Vu followed by a host of other feelings.
A second of euphoria, followed by
a second of nothing, followed by
a 10 to 20 second feeling of nausea and burning in my chest,
( I have never thrown up although the 
feeling to need to is very strong.)
accompanied with strong dizziness.
Followed by up to 30 minutes of memory loss and confusion.


When I say memory loss, I mean seriously, I can't remember what my hubby or my children look like!
I can't remember their names, I can't remember why I am standing in the shower. I can't remember where I need to be.


Some episodes are worse than others. some episodes are very mild.


I can sometimes distract myself, my brain, when I feel a deja vu coming on, and then I don't go through these symptoms. I "change the subject" in my brain, look away from something familiar, or glance and focus on other objects quickly.


I have looked online for other people that have had these symptoms, and there are more than I thought. The ones who seem to have researched it the most have found that it has to do with epilepsy. They say the "episodes" could be petit mal seizures. Pronounced: puh T  mall.


Assuming they are smaller than grand malls, hence my blog title mini malls! haha


Probably 90% of these episodes happen while I am exercising.
I can usually divert 25% of them by tricking my brain into thinking about something else
All this info is for my personal history, so that if I die,
I can tell you, "I told you I was sick!" 


I have recently found someone online that has been diagnosed as having "temporal lobe seizures." The symptoms sound the closest I've found to anything else I've read about it. Except, there was no mention about the nausea, which is the biggest symptom for me.


Sometimes I can go months without having an episode, sometimes I can have a couple in one week. When I mentioned this to my doctor, his eyes got as big as baseballs, thought they might be mini strokes, and referred me to a neurologist. :)


Ha, I saved myself a $100 appointment and visited Dr. Mayo's sight online instead! 


http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/temporal-lobe-seizure/DS00266/DSECTION=symptoms 

I actually have been laughing at my symptoms, cause after all, it's not everyday you forget the names and faces of all your kids. 


At least not at my age...

2 comments:

Jana said...

You didn't save money. You still need to see a neurologist. You should be on meds. That's scary!

Cheryl said...

That is really scary.