Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Bucket list check off sheet: 1 done!


Kanarraville Falls:

We parked at the church on Main street and walked the 5 blocks to the base of the hill where the hike started, so we didn't have to pay the $10 parking fee at the base of the hill.

 (There is a "no parking on the sides of the streets" ordinance in KVille. 
That's why we didn't park closer.)

The parking lot is at the base of a 200+ yard hill. Kams tired quickly, 
so I hauled her most of the way up that first hill.

This is overlooking K ville, and into New Harmony.


It was harder than people had explained to me. It was longer than people had described.

It was 1..2 miles from the church to the fence where the "trail" starts.


Behind me is the fence and the trail to the falls.

The trail was kind of annoying. 
Up, then down, then up, then around, then take your choice of three paths, which one? 
Then more up, then down, then over a tree, then under a tree, then up, then down.                                                                      




Once I figured out that it was so much easier to hike up the 
stream than up the path, it was a much better hike.

Kamarie got to spend a lot of time on my shoulders on the three miles up the canyon. She spent a lot of time on Hubby's shoulders, too. She gets cold very easily, and we were trying to spare her of having wet feet for as long as possible. Besides, her wet muddy feet would have wiped all over our shirts, so we carried her. It was all good. She had a blast, smiling the whole way!


The water was pretty cold. 
Five seconds in the stream had us looking for a trail again so our feet could thaw out.

Koby spent a lot of time rock hopping. 
He was trying to stay dry as long as possible. . .



Kinzie showing some of the ups and downs

 and ups and downs.


Another picture of Kams having a great time. . . .


1..2 miles on the road and 1..5 ish miles on this trail and
Koby managed to keep his feet dry to this point. . .






The end of Koby's dry shoes as the canyon walls force him to hike in the water.


Here we are at the falls #1. 
Hubby wanted to turn around here,
cause that ladder is pretty sketchy, and he was afraid for the kids' safety.






There were so many people on this hike on this Saturday,
that there was never a shortage of people to ask to take photos for you.






The kids had no trouble at all climbing this rickety ladder.











Up the canyon on our way to falls #2.







Scrambling. . . .


















This girl was leading the pack so much that if I wanted a picture of her face,
 I had to have her turn around. 







Falls #2

Kauri is a mountain goat. 
She loved every second of this hike. 
We got to as far as we could go as a family, 
but she wanted to keep going up the canyon!





Kash is in red hat in center, Kort is off to the right scrambling up a rock. 




This is the "slide".
Kauri tried it out several times,
and so did Kort. 














Then, I supposed that I had to try it.









Two things happened to convince us to turn back at the second waterfall 
instead of hiking up to the third:

Kinzie had twisted her ankle as her foot slipped off a rock in the creek just before waterfall #2.

Kortlen's boat shoes were old, and we didn't realize the tread was so fragile. By the time we reached the falls # 2, he didn't have any bottoms left to his shoes, and we had the whole 2..7ish miles still to hike back.

So, we decided not to go any further.

{I am running out of lives with my curiosity. (Curiosity killed the cat. . .  ) I wanted to go to the end of the trail with Kauri. I wanted to know what was up there!}














Handing Kamarie off to Kash.
The line to use the ladder was pretty long the whole time we were there, both ways.








Kash, Kinz, Kauri, Koby, and Kams.



Since Hubby and I are old enough to remember a tv show called MacGyver,
 we took my headband and Kinzie's headband and wrapped them 
around Kort's shoes bungy cord style to hold his shoes together 
for as long as we could. 
(He weighs a LOT more than Kams,
so we did not want to carry him the whole way down.)


Koby walks fast. 
He hikes even faster. 
He gets annoyed at slow people. 
I am a slow hiker. 
I feel like I am going fast, but I get further behind with every step.

I blame it on my short Alldredge legs.


Think about it:

my legs are so much shorter than Hubby's and Koby's
 that I have to take more steps
than they do! 
They take 3 steps to my 5 steps.
 So, therefore, I am technically walking faster than they are to cover the same ground. : )


Hubby ended up having to carry Kort about a quarter of a mile 
as soon as the path separated from the water. 
Hiking in the water was fine with broken shoes, 
but in the dirt, little rocks would get in under his feet.

Then, I suggested Kort wear Kauri's shoes and Hubby haul Kauri instead,
 since she is 10 lbs lighter than Kort.
So, Kort put on Kauri's shoes. 





The blisters were starting to form, 
and there was still a mile of dirt road to go, 
so we stopped to chill our feet for one last time.


Koby and Kash took turns hauling Kamarie down the hill. 
Like I said, he gets annoyed with slow hikers, 
so he and Kash carried Kams so we could go faster. 
HA, then Hubbs ends up carrying someone bigger and staying as slowish.

I was practically running to stay up with Koby walking once we hit the dirt road.
Like I said, short legs!



We ate pbj sandwiches, Doritos, and a soda at the park.

Hubby was too sleepy to drive us home, so Koby offered and I let him.




Bucket list remaining: hike Havasupai
                               hike the Narrows in Zion
                               hike the Subway in Zion
                               hike across Pine Valley Mtn,

Who is coming with me?


1 comment:

Jana said...

There is NO WAY that would've been classified as a family-friendly hike at our house!

I'm so glad you shared your pictures and videos! I'm going to show this to my kids in the morning.