Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Oh, the politics of LittleLeague...


I have heard that the all-star coach plans on pitching his own daughter 
at the tournament and no one else.
That's what I hear from a mother on the team.
There was a contest to see who could pitch the most strikes and that person would pitch at the tournament.
When my player from my team pitched the ball, the catcher would intentionally drop her pitched balls and call them balls when they were strikes. Then the catcher's friend (coaches daughter) was pitching and they were all strikes even though the catcher was all over the place trying to get to the pitches.

So, according to the coach, since his daughter pitched the most strikes, she was the one that was going to pitch in the tournament.

The mom of the pitchers on my team says every time she shows up to practice, her girls are running the bases. All the other girls are in their playing spots and her girls are just running bases. She thought it looked as though the coach would bench her girls.

The mom is mad. She feels like her girls won the league with their pitching and now the coach won't even let them pitch in the tournament, and it looks as if they will just sit the bench.

I feel the same about the winning the league. If those girls had not pitched for my team, we would not have won ANY games. The girls did not win by themselves, cause we had to have hitters as well, but we would not have won if it weren't for them. So, I agree with the mom.

The mom also told me that every coach in the league is at most every practice except for me.
She had called to find out why I wasn't the coach-to see if it was my choice that I wasn't. She thinks it is so wrong that I am not the coach. (I am the only coach that does not have a daughter on the team.)

The catcher is another issue. She is the best player in the league. She is the one that can peg the center-fielder in the forehead if she wants to. She pulled my best player J aside in front of the all-star coaches and all the players and told her she wanted to teach her how to run the bases. Besides the fact that she intentionally dropped the pitches from T, she is always bossy and snotty to them both. (J and T are sisters.) She is a bully and yells at and puts down anyone she wants to that is not her friend.

I told the mom to keep track of the games herself, because I didn't think the coach would play the girls fairly. The mandatory play rule says that each player needs to play 2 defensive innings and bat at least once. 

The team had a game last night. J only got to play defensively for the 4th inning. It was clearly a violation and the consequence is that the coach gets suspended for two games. (The mom kept track in her own score book.) Well, the coaches are adamant that J got to play 2 innings. (I've been talking a lot with the mom on the phone and this is what we think happened: the coach made the change and either forgot to tell the girls of the change or they didn't hear him tell them.) It is written in the score books that J went in in the 3rd inning, so no one will believe her. The mom called the Wash. LL pres and told him. I knew he would not take it further, so I did. I called the district guy and he had someone check it out. They determined that it was in the score book as being subbed, therefore she played it. They lost the game anyway, so the only thing that mattered was getting the coach his just consequence.

As it turns out, they had a game today also. Since they wanted to pitch the coaches daughter both days, they could only pitch her 2 innings yesterday. So T got to pitch 2 innings yesterday. She didn't do very well, and the catcher was yelling and yelling at her to pitch strikes. Then the catcher would turn to the coach with her hands up after every pitch and roll her eyes. Softball is mostly mental. How can she pitch strikes to a big ol bully like McKenzie is? Especially when she is yelling at her so bad. No, the coaches didn't stop her from yelling at he pitcher. 

I haven't heard about the game tonight except they played Parowan and beat them by 13 runs.
And J hit one of her specialty home runs with two girls on base.



No comments: