Tuesday, August 5, 2014

People don't leave babies in "hot" cars.

Every news agency always states that a baby or child was "left in a hot car."
That statement boils my blood. First off, the cars are NOT HOT when a baby is left in it.
The cars are always comfortable when the baby gets left in it!
THEN, the temps soar and turns the car hot!  DUH!

Now that that is off my chest:

I read this entire article. It was pretty lengthy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/fatal-distraction-forgetting-a-child-in-thebackseat-of-a-car-is-a-horrifying-mistake-is-it-a-crime/2014/06/16/8ae0fe3a-f580-11e3-a3a5-42be35962a52_story.html

I didn't even need to read the article, I already knew of everything it stated.

Some people even go as far as to offer advice to people to help them not forget a baby in the backseat!
Dumbest thing I have ever heard of.

First of all, I have recently read over 400 hate-filled comments regarding this topic.

People are basically perfect.

If you are perfect, then what good will it do you to leave your "cell phone in the back seat"
or "leave a shoe on the floor" in the back seat, or "leave your purse next to the baby"!!!

PERFECT PEOPLE DON'T NEED A REMINDER, AND THEY WON'T DO IT.

They won't leave a shoe or their phone in the back seat,
because they don't plan on leaving a baby in the car.

I am NOT talking about the people who leave their kids in the car while they "run inside to pay a bill" or while they "run inside to get a prescription". That is a completely separate topic all in itself, and even though I don't condone doing that at all, I am not addressing that subject at this time.

(It finally, in this moment, just made sense to me why there is a SIGN in a close-to-the-door parking spot at my local Wal-mart that states that the spot is "RESERVED FOR PARENTS OF SICK CHILDREN", is it perhaps so the parents can "run inside the store to get medicine or prescriptions" while they leave the sick kids in the car? just a thought.)

A girl won a science fair cause she invented a device to stick under the baby
that will alert your phone in case you left the baby in the car.
I would never buy it. NO ONE would ever buy it.
Who in their right mind thinks it could happen to them and PREPARE FOR THE DAY?
No one will buy it, cause the thought of needing it is ridiculous.
PEOPLE ARE PERFECT!



It's all about the ROUTINE, people!

My boys used to do gymnastics EVERYDAY for 3 hours a day.
If school got out early, or there was no school at all,
I would forget to take them to the gym 80% of the time.

If we were out of town on Sunday, then I would forget about piano lessons on
Monday morning. Everytime.

If I was supposed to pick up a kid at school on Tuesdays, and there was no school on Monday,
I would forget to pick him up EVERY time.

I totally understand mad people that say that forgetting a child is unacceptable.
I get that. I do.

But, it's NOT about FORGETTING a child.

It's about the ROUTINE. (which has to do with the BRAIN)

In the article, these people that lost their most prized possessions were
crucified by their peers for doing the unthinkable.

Guess what? They all had breaks in their routine:
phone distractions, extended family concerns, work related problems,
doctor appointments, a song on the radio, something else, or anything else.

Many people in the article REMEMBER taking the baby in the house and
putting it to bed before moving on to the next task just to find out later,
to their horrer, that they hadn't actually taken the baby inside.

Brains are mysteriously confusing.

I will never understand mine.

I can remember almost every rule in the softball rulebook,
but I can't remember where I put the keys to the car just now.

I can always remember the sugar content to a cup of yogurt or a can of soda,
but I can't remember if I just took 500mg of Acetaminophen or 1000mg.
(the kind of stuff you NEED to know)

I spent 2 years trying to get pregnant with my 7th child.
Even though I would nurse her all night long, it seemed,
every morning for the first 9 months of her life I would wake up surprised
to see that I had a new baby!

Hardly anyone "leaves a baby in the car." Hardly anyone "forgets a baby in the car."
I am here to tell you that if the baby is being left in the car at all,
it is because the person believes the child is SOMEWHERE ELSE:
at the sitter's, or in it's bed, or with it's other parent, or whatever
other thing that is normal in that person's life.

The venom that spews out of some people is uglier than the accidental death that has occurred.
Forgetting that the baby is in the car does not happen a ton and is not a crime
and should not be punished by the courts.
The "venom spewing" SHOULD be a crime, and SHOULD BE PUNISHED!

So many people have had their fair share of  "brain farts".
Leaving the house to go shopping, but forgetting the money or the coupons.
Going hiking and forgetting the water.
Going hunting or bird watching and forgetting the binoculars.
Going to another room in the house and forgetting what you went in there for.
Whatever it is.
WE ALL DO IT!

Sadly, some people get caught having a life altering "distraction".
Then they have to spend the rest of their lives torturing themselves
and searching their "imperfect, human brain" for answers that ARE NOT THERE.

Venom spewers beware! If you have not recently "knocked on wood"
while you have spewed your judgmental venom, you WILL be next.
In some way or another.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that. I think a lot of people need that opposing opinion. I too have had so many times when I KNEW that I had done something, just to figure out that it hadn't been done, or totally forgotten to do something because it wasn't part of the normal routine. It's a really sad thing that happened to that family, and any family that that happens to, but hey, it's true, that guy had a break in his routine. He didn't usually take his kid in the mornings, and may have just forgotten the child in the back seat. It was a really tragic mistake, and I'm sure he feels really bad. I mean, it's his kid for Pete's sake! He will have enough guilt about it for the rest of his life, we shouldn't make it any worse.